London has always been a popular venue for Thais, in fact King Chulalongkorn the Great or Rama V first visited London in 1897, and later his son Prince Prachadhipok Sakdidej who later became King in 1925 was educated at Eton College and the Woolwich Military Academy in England.
The clubhouse, near the Ritz Hotel, in the heart of the West End is within walking distance of the main shopping streets and theatres.
It has an attractive garden backing onto Green Park, just 400 metres from Buckingham Palace, 80 quality bedrooms, buttery and bar (both with al fresco dining in the summer), restaurant, drawing room, period fireplaces and rooms with a history.
Within a short walk are St James’s Palace, Spencer House, Green Park Tube station (direct trains to Heathrow) and the Royal Academy. The League has limited car parking for residents in the forecourt.
Restaurants, Bar and Other Facilities
- Tranquil, discreet venue for lunch and dinner. Licensed.
- Hours: Monday – Friday, 12.30pm-2.30pm and 7.00pm-10.00pm. Saturday, 7.00pm-9.30pm
- Set prices menus: Two courses £21.50 – Three Courses £25.00
- Dress code: Jacket for men. No jeans or trainers.
- Designed by Rosemary Hamilton in a 1930’s Art Deco style
- Harpist plays Monday & Saturday, 7.30pm-9.30pm
- Reservations: Please contact the restaurant during service hours on extension 220. At all other times please contact the reception office on extension 0
Buttery & Garden
- Bistro style overlooking the garden. Licensed.
- Hours: Monday – Saturday 7.30am-8.30pm, Sundays & Bank Holidays 8.00am-10.00pm
- Also known as the Brabourne room
- The inscription on the Buttery fireplace is from Horace’s Epistle “Nil Conscire Sibi”. It is Latin for, “To have nothing on your conscience”
- Dress code: Smart / casual
- During summer months, special menu of cold dishes in the garden
Cocktail Bar & Garden
- Bar food served from 12.00pm-2.00pm. Licensed.
- Hours: Monday – Friday 11.30am-11.00pm
- Saturday – 11.30pm-3.00pm, 5.30pm-11.00pm
- Sunday & Bank Holidays – 12.00pm-2.00pm, 6.30pm-10.00pm
- The cocktail bar serves a full range of drinks and lunch time snacks
- This was the room in which Frederick the (Grand Old) Duke of York died in 1827
- During the summer months drinks can be served in the garden
- Almost half the price of other bars in the local vicinity
- Sophisticated range of cocktails made by professional bar staff
- Dress code: Smart / casual
Willingdon Drawing Room
- Location: on the first floor on the Park side of the building; third door on the right hand side
- Afternoon tea served
- Light snacks and beverages also available from 2.00pm- 10.00pm
- A selection of all the daily newspapers and topical magazines
- A small library containing books mainly by members
- Views overlooking the garden and Green Park
The Souvenirs Shop
- Location: Underneath the Gibbs staircase in the Central Lounge
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday 9.00am-12.00pm, 1.00pm-5.30pm (all other times contact Reception)
- A wide selection of gifts are available from the Souvenirs Shop, including postcards, ties, leather goods unique to the League and much more
- A catalogue of available items is included in the September-November edition of Overseas Magazine
Computer facilities in the Central Lounge
Complimentary computer facilities available in the Central Lounge. There is no maximum time limit for usage of this service, but we would ask members to share the computers fairly with other members.
Use of Mobile Phones
Use of mobile telephones allowed in certain areas but prohibited in the Restaurant, Buttery, Bar and Drawing Room.
There are 80 quality bedrooms at Royal Over-Seas House, London. All rooms have remote controlled 20″ LCD TV’s including Sky channels, FM radio, direct dial telephone, tea and coffee making facilities, bathrobes, hair dryers, electronic safes and ironing facilities on request from house keeping. Certain bedrooms have air conditioning and broadband access.
- Single rooms without bathroom: £85.00-£90.00
- Single rooms with bath: £105.00-£115.00
- Single rooms with shower: £100.00-£120.00
- Twin bedded rooms with bath/shower: £145.00-£165.00
- Double rooms with bath/shower: £140.00-£155.00
- Executive double rooms with bath/shower: £155.00-£170.00
There is a £10.00 discount per room per night for stays of 7 or more consecutive nights.
All rates include value added tax and continental breakfast.
- Ironing board and Iron available free of charge from Housekeeping on ext: 330 or from Porters on ext: 326/0
- Baby cot in parent’s rooms: FREE.
- Extra bed in twin bedded rooms: £15.00 per night.
Competitive international telephone rates are available from the rooms.
All applications for accommodation should be addressed to the Reservations Office giving full name and membership number.
E-mail: reservations [at] rosl.org.uk
Tel: +44 20 7408 0214
Fax: +44 20 7499 6738
Cancellations must be received before noon on the day preceding the arrival date. Members will otherwise be liable for the full charge for one night if the room is not re-let. Note: Everyone using bedroom accommodation must be a League member.
How to get to the London Clubhouse.
Tube to Green Park (Piccadilly, Jubilee or Victoria lines), take exit marked Buckingham Palace, walk past the Ritz Hotel turning right into Arlington Street. At the end of Arlington Street there are some steps, down the steps to the front entrance (approx. 5 minutes).
Buses stop outside Green Park tube station on Piccadilly, numbers 8, 9, 14, 19, 22 and 38, running west to Hyde Park Corner, Victoria and Knightsbridge, and east to Piccadilly Circus and Holborn.
By car – coming west on A4 (Piccadilly), turn right into Duke Street St James’s, right again into King Street, and again into St James’s Street, left into Park Place to Over-Seas House. By car – coming from east on Pall Mall and up St James’s Street. Alternative parking in the NCP Car Park, Arlington Street.
Conference & Banqueting
Whatever your event, Over-Seas House, London, offers the perfect setting. Whether you are holding a conference, meeting, canape reception, formal dinner or a family celebration, the Royal Over-Seas League is the ideal choice.
For further details contact Conference & Banqueting Office on 020 7629 0406 or by Email at: rosl [at] convexleisure.co.uk
The venue boasts seven elegant function rooms, all benefiting from full natural daylight with several offering wonderful views over the private garden and neighbouring Green Park.
The Hall of India & Pakistan and Princess Alexandra Hall are suitable for a wide range of events. The newly-refurbished Princess Alexandra Hall boasts integrated audio-visual facilities with superb acoustics making it ideal for conferences and presentations.
For smaller events Over-Seas House offers a selection of unique function rooms to accommodate up to 50 guests. With their graceful elegance and understated grandeur, the rooms lend themselves well to every event.
Located in the heart of the West End, just a short walk from Piccadilly Circus and Green Park, Over-Seas House is simply perfect for your next event.
The Clubhouse at 100 Princes Street overlooks Princes Gardens and has unrestricted views of Edinburgh Castle.
The best shops, restaurants, places of historical interest and the railway station are all within walking distance.
The clubhouse has 16 ensuite bedrooms, a three bedroom family flat, restaurant, bar, drawing room and conference rooms.
For further details visit the ROSL Edinburgh web-site: www.rosl-edinburgh.org